Sunday 7 February 2021

First stop: Afghanistan.

It has been almost a year that we have been living through the pandemic. The thing I miss the most is the ability to travel to faraway places...to learn...to explore a different culture...to be transformed. That's why I decided to launch this blog as a means to catalogue weekly travels...from my sofa. It is my goal to watch a video of 30 minutes or less that depicts some aspect of a country, starting with Afghanistan and ending with Zimbabwe.

This first video comes courtesy of Drew Binsky, a vlogger aiming to visit every country on earth. I came across Drew when I was looking for a segment on the Buddhas of Bamiyan. To date, Drew has been to 194 out of 197 countries. 

I remember the reading about how the Taliban destroyed the Buddha statues in Afghanistan in March 2001 and feeling so sad and so angry. This video runs just over 21 minutes and includes some annoying commercials that you can skip, as well as some pandemic and child safety practices that you need to appreciate in their cultural context. That said, it offers a succinct and overview of the Bamiyan region.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Burkina Faso: celebrating African filmmaking.

Since 1969, Burkina Faso has been home to the  Pan-African Film & TV Festival of Ouagadougou, or FESPACO for short. This biennial event ...