Sunday 4 April 2021

Australia: THIS IS NOT A DOT PAINTING.

It is a joy to introduce you to my favorite Aboriginal artist, Emily Kam Kngwarray. I was first introduced to Kngwarray's work shortly before I moved to Australia, when I was a docent at the National Museum of Women in the Arts. The museum hosted an exhibit of women Aboriginal artists that included Kngwarray's work. At the time, I did not understand the work but was quite taken by the dreaming, the transference of culture and traditions.

When I first moved to Australia, I spent many of my days at the National Gallery of Australia, where I learned about Kngwarray's significance as the first female Aboriginal artist to gain worldwide acclaim.

This 15-minute film is a discussion of Kngwarray's piece called Big Yam Dreaming. It is a striking black and white piece; click on this link to view the art in its original colors (the video distorts the piece to blue).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burkina Faso: celebrating African filmmaking.

Since 1969, Burkina Faso has been home to the  Pan-African Film & TV Festival of Ouagadougou, or FESPACO for short. This biennial event ...