Sunday 18 April 2021

Azerbaijan: carpet culture.


When I think of carpets, Azerbaijan is not the first country that comes to mind. Turkey comes first, as a girlfriend and I spent a long weekend in Istanbul and looked at carpets while drinking apple tea. Next comes Pakistan, as my husband brought a carpet home after a work trip -- and the carpet was the only thing he brought home, as the airline lost his luggage. 

So I was intrigued when I Googled Azerbaijan and discovered that there is a carpet museum in Baku. I was surprised to also learn that UNESCO declared the Azerbaijani carpet a "Masterpiece of Intangible Heritage." 

Largely a woman's occupation, carpetmaking is a means of conveying a family's traditions and history. This 10-minute video offers an overview and insight for why this practice is so important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Burkina Faso: celebrating African filmmaking.

Since 1969, Burkina Faso has been home to the  Pan-African Film & TV Festival of Ouagadougou, or FESPACO for short. This biennial event ...